Pesto Caesar Salad in Garlic Crouton Cups,
- 12 slices firm white bread, crusts removed
- Olive oil or olive oil spray
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups DOLE® Hearts of Romaine
- Pesto Caesar Dressing (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Parmesan Crisps (recipe below)
Pesto Caesar Salad Dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tsp. anchovy paste
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. prepared pesto
- Whisk together all ingredients until blended. Toss with DOLE Hearts of Romaine. Makes about 3/4 cup.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mound shredded Parmesan cheese in 12 (1/2 teaspoonfuls) onto prepared sheet.
- Bake 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Let cool 1 minute. Serve.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Brush or spray each slice of bread lightly with olive oil. Combine garlic salt and dried basil. Sprinkle mixture over both sides of the bread. Season each with pepper.
- Flatten bread slightly with rolling pin. Gently press each slice into a muffin cup, allowing edges to hang over cup. Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven; cool.
- Toss lettuce with Pesto Caesar dressing to taste; spoon into garlic crouton cups. Garnish with toasted pine nuts and a Parmesan Crisp. Serve immediately.